Prior consent is gained by parents/carers for their child to leave the premises during pre-school hours, this consent is written in the application form and signed.
A risk assessment is completed and signed by all attending the outing.
A pre packed bag is taken with:
- First Aid Box.
- Anti-bacterial wipes/ gel
- Risk Assessment
- Spare changes of clothes- boy/girl
- List of parent contact details
- Any child medication needed
High visibility vests will be worn by all children and the leader of the group for the duration of the outing.
- Ensure the ratio between adults and children is correct.
- All children stop at the blowing of a whistle.
- Before the outing staff discuss with the children about the outing, dangers/limits/behaviour/how to behave while out.
- Children to hold on to polo rope at all times.
- If near the edge of water, the adult must hold the child’s hand, ensuring they are not stood too close to the water’s edge, and use polo rope.
- All adults are usually pre-school staff and if necessary parent helpers.
- A member of staff will supervise group activities at all times.
- A member of staff will be at the back and the front of the group.
- Children should follow the leader in a safe way.
- Children will walk on the footpath, whereever possible, with an adult on the outside of the child.
- Children are encouraged to use a toilet before an outing. Wherever possible public toilets are used. Only DBS checked adults can take children to the toilet.
- If animals are touched, the usual hand washing procedure should take place, if this is not possible anti-bacterial wipes are used.
- Regular counts of children are made throughout the outing.
In the unlikely event of a missing/lost child, all children gathered to a safe area a register will be taken and:-
- A qualified member of staff will be left in charge of the group.
- Other staff and parent helpers to search surrounding area.
- Regular updates by mobile phone to be given back to main group.
- If by 10 minutes the lost/missing child is not found the police will be called and then the parents.
- Continued searching until police arrive and other help sourced by additional parents to safely return remaining children back to pre-school.